Thursday, April 26, 2012

Katz's Delicatessen Review

Due to my lack of beef intake, I ordered a turkey sandwich... and boy, that was a huge mistake. For $14, I basically got a mountain of turkey and two pieces of rye bread. That was it. No condiments, no vegetables, just literally a 1/2 pound of sliced turkey breast and some leavened dough. Don't get me wrong, the fresh baked bread was just fine and the turkey was far superior to most corner delis... but was it worth $14? No way. Turkey is about as vanilla a meat product as you can get, so if you've had one turkey sandwich, you've had them all as far as I'm concerned.

The experience of Katz's was really fun, though. It's quite the operation with their own security guards, enough tables to fit a small village in Sudan, and they have a sign that points out the exact location where the famous scene between Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan went down in When Harry Met Sally (you know, the whole "I'll have what she's having" scene. Check out my O face!). For that alone, it was worth the appearance, but if you're like myself and don't get off on cuts of cured red meat, you may want to skip.

205 E Houston St
(between Avenue A & Essex St)
New York, NY 10002
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
(212) 254-2246

No comments:

Post a Comment